English Version | Bahasa Indonesia

Rest House

The Rest House of Langenharjo (Pesanggrahan Langenharjo)

The rest house of Langenharjo becomes one of recreational destination places for royal family event it is different with Sriwedari Park focused as disctrical entertainment. It is also functioned as a sacred place to perform the ritual of meditation. The construction of Pesanggrahan Langenharjo began in the reign of His Majesty Sri Pakubuwono IX (1861-1893), precisely in 1870, and completed in the reign of His Majesty Sri Pakubuwono X (1893-1939), on July 15, 1931. This data was obtained from the information contained in Pesanggrahan Langenharjo, which states "PB X 15-7-1931". Pesanggrahan Langenharjo is located at the north side of Solo River precisely in Langen Arjan Hamlet, Langenharjo Village, Grogol District, Sukoharjo Regencey, which is about 10 km to the south of the city of Surakarta and established only about 50 m from Solo River.

According to local belief, Pesanggrahan Langenharjo was founded after His Majesty Pakubuwono IX did meditation by doing the ritual of “Tapa Ngeli” (penance by immerses himself) in Solo River. At some points in the complex of Pesanggrahan Langenharjo are found several meditation rooms and some special rooms only for the King and His descendants. One of the special rooms is called Sanggar Pamujan (worship room) used by His Majesty for meditation in order to gain guidance before making any decisions related to state affairs or other problematic cases. In addition, the complex is also used as various objects storage belonging to Surakarta Hadiningrat Sunanate.

Now, the public is allowed to view the rooms inside Pesanggrahan Langenharjo except of a few that set aside for its sacred. Usually, people come to Pesanggrahan Langenharjo with intent to obtain or seek blessings for peace of mind, such as in every Tuesday night in Legi or Friday night in Kliwon, many visitors make the ritual of Tapa Brata in front of Sanggar Pamujan. Some of the rooms and other buildings located inside the complex are Prabasana Hall, Kuncungan, nDalem Ageng, Pangkuran Hall, the armory, living room, Keputren  (the room for the wives and daughters of the King), and Kesatrian (the room for sons of King).

In addition, there are wood chips inside Pesanggrahan Langenharjo originating from His Majesty Pakubuwono IX’s boat used when performing the ritual of “Tapa Ngeli” and finally found a place to bulid Pesanggrahan Langenharjo. Reputedly, the boat ridden by His Majesty Pakubuwono IX belonged to Jaka Tingkir entitled Sultan Hadiwijaya (1549-1582 AD), the ruler of the Sultanate of Pajang that is the forerunner of Surakarta Hadiningrat Sunanate. The decoration found on the boat's head was then known by the name Kyai Rojomolo and put in the front of this complex. The Collection of historical objects stored in Pesanggrahan Langenharjo increased with an ancient boat that aged 300-400 years old. This ancient boat was found at the base of the Solo River, precisely in the area of Bulakan Village, Sukoharjo Regency, in 2008.

Aside from being a place of meditation, Pesanggrahan Langenharjo is also a recreational destination place of the royal family. This is suitable with the name "Langenharjo" that can be interpreted as "a place of comfort and peace". The complex is surrounded by high wall and some banyan trees stand firmly such an umbrella. Behind the main building, there is pool of warm water baths and six bathrooms. That warm water in the pool that comes from wells can cure many kinds of skin diseases due to high sulfur content.

After it was no longer being used as a place of meditation and recreation, Pesanggrahan Langenharjo turned into object of tourism. In the decade of the 1990s, it become popular tourist object location because of the charm of warm water baths located in the middle of town. However, through the time the visitors are decreasing. One most possible cause is the water in the baths to be not so hot anymore due to too old pipes that deliver the hot water from the well to the pool leaks that caused its heat to drop. Since 2000, it was then made several renovations to increase public interest done by either Central Government of Sukoharjo Regency or the Preservation of Archaeological Heritage (BP3) of Central Java.

Read : 816 time(s)
« About the Palace

Share

Comment Form